Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Starting at the beginning...

I don't know how far back to go, or where our fertility journey started. What I can tell you is that I ALWAYS knew I wanted to be a mom, and I always kinda knew it would be not be easy. Somehow knowing that...knowing getting pregnant was not going to be "easy" is what has made it easier for me. So far our journey has not been one of heartache or pain, it's been one purely of love.

How we came to IVF
     At age 19 after a 4 wheeling accident my doctors randomly found a large tumor attached to my left Fallopian tube. It was the size of a cantaloupe and they were pretty sure it was non cancerous. This was my first surgery. When they went in to remove the tumor it was wrapped around my left ovary they ended up taking about 95% of my ovary out with the tumor. Along with a couple ovarian cyst. It was non cancerous and my doctors were sure that I could easily get pregnant with my right ovary and good right Fallopian tube. I recovered quickly and was back to normal within the week

     One month after my surgery I was back in the hospital in excruciating pain in my stomach and shoulder. In the ER they did a ton of test and started me on morphine. I remember at one point telling my dad "I don't know what your appendix is but mine burst" after getting all the test back they decided the pain was from another ovarian cyst. I was scheduled for surgery later that night when it came time for surgery the obgyn surgeon was called to deliver a baby. My surgery was rescheduled...this happen three more times in the course of three days. When they finally went in for surgery they found that my appendix HAD burst three days earlier. Scaring most of my abdomen.

       9 years and 5 more ovarian cyst surgeries later when my husband and I were ready to start having babies. I would come to find out not only was that scaring causing all of my ovarian cyst but my "good Fallopian tube" was also scared shut...no open tube no way for the egg to get to the uterus. No other option but IVF or adoption. This is why I say our journey has been "easy" we did not go thru years of trying naturally...we didn't have any miscarriages, we didn't have to go thru years of fertility drugs and hormones only to find out at 35 or 40 that IVF was now our only option.  I am hoping that the rest of this IVF journey is just as easy for us :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment